Dallas, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My green card expired a year ago is there a way to get a extention to go back home and come back and file citizenship

I can apply for citizenship, but I want to go back to sell some properties get the money and bring it back and then file for citizenship. Is there anything that’s calling extension on an expired green card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyle K. Morishita
Kyle K. Morishita

A: If you want to travel outside of the United States, you need a valid, unexpired passport. Additionally, it is best to have proof your permanent residency. So, you should file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. After filing, you will likely receive a receipt notice or a biometrics appointment notice. If you receive a biometrics appointment notice, be sure to take a valid passport and your expired permanent resident card to the appointment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.