Edmond, OK asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Oklahoma

Q: Is failure to yield to emergency vehicle is a criminal misdeameanor in oklahoma ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: While traffic violations are generally treated a little differently, any violation of law in Oklahoma that carries a fine or jail time that does not meet the definition of a felony, is technically a misdemeanor. That includes all, or nearly all, traffic violations - including the one you ask about. However, traffic violation cases are generally started by the law enforcement officer presenting the citation to the court clerk for filing, while other misdemeanor cases (involving offenses such as DUI, Assault and Battery, Petty Larceny, and other offenses one thinks of as being a misdemeanor) are started by the DA filing an Information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.