Houston, TX asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: We are in the process building a pool in our backyard. We have a 16 foot utility easement across our backyard.

We received a consent to encroach from City of Houston where they authorized building the pool. We ran into a gas line while digging, and Center Point Energy is claiming we cannot encroach on the easement and need to fill the hole in our backyard, otherwise they will file "unauthorized use" with the county clerk's office. Originally, Center Point said we could pay $350 to reroute the gas line. They then told us that since the gas line is a main line, it would cost $750 to reroute. We have no problem paying the fee, we just want the gas line moved which Center Point is now saying they will not do. How we get a consent to encroach with Center Point. They are saying we need to fill the hole in the ground and request the consent to encroach from them.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Offer Center Point more money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.