Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for Ohio

Q: How can I go about getting a local bar shut down due to criminal activity? Multiple shootings happen at this bar.

The bar is in my neighborhood and I am sick of the crime it brings.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In some limited cases, you can bring a claim for nuisance against the bar and seek to enjoin it from operating. This is typically done by the municipality, sometimes by a community development clinic or other non-profit, and very infrequently done by private individuals.

While you certainly can pursue legal options, you may wish to contact your local government as well. Often that can be a much more effective route, especially for an individual, than pursuing a court case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.