Mansfield, OH asked in Land Use & Zoning for Ohio

Q: My mom has lived in her home for over forty years. Neighbor says part of her yard is hers. More in details

Mom has completely maintained part of property, the whole time. Has a fence built up to the side of the neighbors house and 2 outbuildings. The new owner says it’s her property and has installed an air conditioning unit by the side and has stated my moms fence will be taken down bc she is going to build her own fence on the property. I think my mom falls under adverse possession. She fits all the criteria. Always cared for the property, the house itself has sat empty for 11 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A claim of adverse possession can only be decided by a court. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney who can review all the facts of the situation and advise you, and try to work it out with the neighbor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.