Edmond, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: My neighbors acroos the street shot off their weapon (gun) 7 rounds a few minutes later (3) fired off another 7 rounds.

approximately 10:45 p.m. The next day i noticed a hole in my svreen and window leading to my livingroom. The ricocheded bullet only went through the screen and first glass. I notified the police. The officer took a report and picture of the window, then left. Looking into the replacement of the window I took the screen off and noticed the bullet. Called thr responding Officer back. He took the bullet out and placed it in a paper sack with his glove wrapped around it, turned it into the detectives. It's now a week later and no responce from the detectives or no personal questioning of the neighbors to my knowledge. I have PTSD/Anxiety and have not slept well since the icident. Should they have interviewed the neighbors and done a perliminary search of the property by now. They have a target on their fence. This is a residential neighborhood with children. How much longer should I wait for a response? NOTE: Prior to this my daughter was sitting in my livingroom where the bullet hit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You should contact the detectives to see if they have any updates or suggestions. They generally want to help and want to get to the bottom of the matter, but they may have additional cases to investigate in front of yours. If you hear gun shots, call 911 and report it immediately. There may be more an attorney could do for you in the form of civil, injunctive relief that you may be able to pursue, so contacting a civil attorney may prove beneficial to you. But as far as the detectives go, you will need to call and follow up with them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.