Coffeyville, KS asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Do you have to be ordered by a judge to register as a violent offender? Or can Doc make you?

My probation officer is trying to make me register as a violent offender. I wasn't ordered to. Nor been convicted of such crime

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Contact the attorney who represented you at the time of your plea. If that attorney is not available, contact a criminal defense attorney. Generally, the Court does not have to order it for the individual to be required to register. There may be arguments that exist for not having to, but I would contact an attorney immediately to find out specifically, based on your conviction, whether you have to register and, if not, to resolve the matter with DOC before new charges get filed against you for failure to register.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.