Chicopee, MA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: Parties agree to contribute to child's educational expenses ~according to their respective abilities at the time."

Ambiguous. Who decides ability? Can parent have a savings account or be concerned someone is going to say "S/He has money?" Child is 20 years old in college and is capable of supporting self but lives with one parent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: A child in college full-time is not considered to be emancipated and the duty to pay child support and make college contribution exists. Where there is an indefinite percentage or sum indicated there is likely a basis for court review in a Modification proceeding. The current Massachusetts child support guidelines specify maximums for college contribution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.