Colorado Springs, CO asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Native American Law for Colorado

Q: Should I sell my interest

I have trust land and the tribes want to buy my interest and conveyance for something

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Afternoon,

I think you need to get in touch with an attorney specializing in Indian law for your specific tribe. I used to work in oil and gas in a none legal capacity and know there are different levels of ownership within the tribe. I think it would depend if you are an owner, have a right to sell, and so on. If I recall, I think some tribes hold title to the land and pay out a royalty to the tribe members based on overall production. In otherwords, you may not be able to sell that interest because the tribe holds it.

If you are a private land owner and the land is located in Colorado, give me or another oil and gas attorney a call. There is nothing wrong with selling your land for something. You just need to make sure you do not get taken by the buyer.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.