Asked in Employment Law for Missouri

Q: What can I do if a raise I was promised was given to me months too late?

I was promoted in January 2022, with this promotion came a raise. However I found out recently, I was not given the raise until the middle of the year. I was promoted in January as scheduled and did all the extra work that came along with my new position, and I was doing it for minimum wage for months unbeknownst to me. Is there any legal action I can take to get the wages owed to me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Unfortunately, federal wage laws only protect against minimum wage and overtime pay violations. However, you should discuss this issue with your manager or human resources department if you have not already - they may agree to reimburse you for the difference in pay since you were promoted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.