Salem, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: I was recently put on probation for a period of five years. Is there anything I can do if i feel that's unfair?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If you were convicted after a trial, you have a right to appeal to a higher court. The time within which you must file your appeal is very limited. In most state courts in Arkansas you have 30 days to appeal. A Federal appeal must be filed within 14 days. In either case your time begins with the entry of judgment in the court's record.

There are legal avenues for you to seek post conviction relief if if you believe that your conviction was the result of a Constitutional deprivation.

You should discuss your situation with an attorney in order to be fully advised of your rights. Your question cannot be adequately addressed here without more facts about your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.