Queens, NY asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for New Jersey

Q: I got arrested after a warrantless search and the police took my mothers car

The car wasn’t registered yet, but I had the title, which was made out to my mother, and showed it to the cops before the search. They took the title and the car. It’s been a month and they aren’t giving it back. I told them on the scene that it was my car just in my mothers name trying to get out of the whole situation. I told them when I get a ticket I pay my mother for it.

P.S. they allege there was contraband in the car which they charged me with.

This I happened in NJ

Will they give the car back to my mother? Why haven’t they already it’s been a month?

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: We can't tell you why the car has not been released as we don't know the police's side of the story, but it may be because they can't release an unregistered car out of impound in most cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.