Oklahoma City, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: If I have been in prison in the past but more than 10 years ago but I Caught a new position with intent to dis tribute

What are the chances of me getting accepted into a alternative program?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It’s difficult to say without knowing the specifics of your past criminal history. Alternative courts such as veterans court, drug or DUI court, mental health court, they are reluctant to accept candidates with a violent history, or a history involving guns or protective orders. It’s been a long break in time since you went to prison so that could play in your favor. Your best bet would be to contact a few criminal defense attorneys, run the facts past them and get some opinions. You can always make an application to the alternative court and all they can do is turn you down. However, keep your fingers crossed, you might be pleasantly surprised. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.