Laurel, MS asked in Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: My son is now 18. But his dad owes 11,000 in arrearage through DHS, who has not been enforcing. What are my options

His original payment was based on unemployment income years ago. He makes significantly more money the last few years and DHS said o

It was supposed to increase three years ago when I asked for a review and they sent him letters but never followed through. He has three storage buildings full of four wheelers, TVs, furniture etc be bought for a house he doesn't even have but has never pay child support unless it's taken out of his check.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: A couple of things is going on here.

1. If your son is 18, what is he doing as far as school, employment, living arrangements, etc. he may or may not be emancipated.

2. If he is not emancipated, you should hire a private attorney and file for an increase in support. DHS usually does a fine job, but they are overwhelmed with cases.

3. If he is in arrears, steps need to be take to recover those funds through a contempt action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.