Tavares, FL asked in Divorce, Contracts and Family Law for Florida

Q: Statute of limitations on a car that was never repossessed. Ex husband was ordered in divorce to payoff and sign to me

Recently found out he stopped paying on it several years ago and that repo was looking for it then. My question is what shall I do about this situation. I did contact finance company when I found out and the person was not very informative but casually said someone will come get it next week. That was several months ago and car is still here no one has called or come yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have raised two separate legal issues. Regarding the divorce agreement, you can return to family court and pursue your ex for the value of the car that was never paid off. Regarding the repo, that is an issue between the finance company and whoever's name is on the finance documents. If the loan was in your ex's name then your remedy appears to be in family court. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.