Edmond, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: I have a teen who ran away from the state of Kansas custody. I live in Oklahoma City will I have to send her back

I am teens biological mother but my rights were terminated to her 15 years ago. She has recently been taken by the state again but from her aunt that adopted her and doesn't want her back. she wants to be with me. I don't want them to come pick her up and not sure what I can do at this point

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Unfortunately for you you have no legal standing in keeping her if your rights were terminated. Her aunt “may” grant you guardianship which would essentially give you permission for custody but would not change your status in regards to the parental rights. This is all conditional on the courts and the individual facts of your case. Additionally, since the legal residence is Kansas and they have jurisdiction, there is a more likely than not chance that this will all need to be completed in Kansas, which could change the requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.