New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: Paying to stop a marshall's eviction notice

I got served a Marshall's 14 day eviction notice. Short story is it's my own fault I let it get to this state but I definitely want to get this rectified as this has been my home my entire life (rent-stabilized unit since my birth). Can I go down to the landlord-tenant court and bring certified funds to the clerk to have them vacate or cancel the eviction/warant?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You may go to the Housing Court in the County that issued the warrant of eviction and make an application for an Order to Show Cause ("OSC") to stay your eviction. You may bring certified funds payable to the Petitioner to demonstrate to the Court you have the funds available to satisfy the judgment.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.