Memphis, TN asked in Employment Law for Arkansas

Q: Can an employer stop paying an hourly wage and switch u beginning next week to solely commissions.just got the news toda

My boss came in today and said starting next week I will no longer receive my hourly pay of $12 hr for 34 hrs weekly. He says starting next week Noone gets hourly nomore and will be working making commission only. He said we will get paid $100 every deal we close. Problem with that is that there's only about 12 employees and we all have weeks where no deals are made at all. The good weeks it's hard to even close 4 to 5 deals. I've only worked 1 week there where I closed 5 deals in a week and that's for most employees. We were either getting paid weekly hourly or commissions d3pending on which 1 was more. They opened this business probably beginning of this year. They have us doing high pressured sales cold calling people through a dialer. Also have us telling people information that doesn't seem true to me. The company has changed names 3 times since I've been there since June. Is it legal for them to take away wages we signed on to the job to be making?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chris W. Burks
Chris W. Burks
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Thanks and in Arkansas they can change to pay you commissions so long as you still make a minimum wage. If you work as an employee for a week and don't get paid anything, that is a minimum wage violation

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.