Coeur d'Alene, ID asked in Civil Litigation, Elder Law and Family Law for Idaho

Q: We believe that my 93 year old father in law is being co-erced by his live in girlfriend.

He has given her power of attorney, gave her all of his bank accounts to her , and changed his Will by removing his daughter as executer and his son as co-executer. Replacing them with his girlfriend and her daughter. Now he has stopped calling and she refuses to give him any messages when we call. Is there anything we can legally do to make this wrong into a right before she ends up with the house too ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: You have the right to step in and be concerned. The problem with Powers of Attorney is that they are easily drawn and signed, by the weak and feeble. A much more stable, unalterable instrument to have when your loved ones need help, is a Guardianship / Conservatorship. Nobody is able to get a guardianship or conservatorship, absent a judge's signature. My strong advice to you: apply for a guardianship of your father and for conservatorship of his estate. Good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.