Olympia, WA asked in Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: What type of lawyer is needed for a rental with toxic well water (e.coli found) & toxic levels of black mold?

I am writing on behalf of my brother’s family.

Their rental is on a well. Main well dried up -they are on the backup well - located up the hill. The water comes out of a uncovered tube. They’ve complained to their landlords & were told the water is fine -they won’t fix or drill a new well.

They took water samples to a testing facility. Found high levels of e.coli – deemed unusable water.

My brother & daughter are getting bloody noses. Wife has had migraines. Her doctor said she has severe mold toxicity.

Part of their roof is sagging & has a leak. They’ve told their landlords about it- did nothing. A mold specialist came. Results came back with toxic levels of black mold.

Their home is unsafe to live. They fear eviction if they continue to push the issues.

They simply want legal representation during what might be a very stressful time.

Any advice?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Washington attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. You chose the correct categories to post under - landlord-tenant and personal injury. Those are the types of attorneys who would have insight into this. As a starting point, your brother could consult with a landlord-tenant attorney as to the lease issues. In terms of the health issues suffered by the family, there are personal injury attorneys with experience in exposure to toxic or hazardous substances. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.