Spokane, WA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: Can I add more details to an old police report?

A year ago I called the police because my ex had assaulted me but they didn't find probable cause. Now I know there's a witness can I go and refile a police report? The witness is a minor, will this change the outcome? Is it worth the trouble of trying to press charges?

1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You asking the wrong people! This is a question forum that goes to defense attorneys, not law enforcement or prosecutor's. We are the ones that would represent the accused.

With that say, NOBODY should have to put up with or deal with anyone assaulting them. If this happened to you I am sorry and I hope you are ok and living a good life. Stay safe

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.