Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: I am being subpoenaed to speak at my child’s fathers court hearing for violating his probation.(no contact order)

We previously had domestic violence issues that resulted from both of us escalating petty situations. He was arrested early this month for violating his probation and making contact with me. I want contact with him. We share a child. I do not want to go to this hearing and speak. Can I object to the subpoena? How can I help remove this stupid no contact order that’s been in place for far too long. We have never had a restraining order, nor have I ever requested one.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Actually a no contact Order IS a restraining order and while he can ask to have it lifted (you can't per se since the Order isn't directed at you), these sorts of requests are very common and are very rarely granted. You are under subpoena and your presence is NOT elective or voluntary. If you fail to appear and testify you may be subject to arrest. If there is some legal basis to quash the subpoena, your attorney can ask the court to do so but it needs to be before the date of your appearance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.