Q: Who shall we, the people, contact, to change a statute?

FL Statute 768 is quoted by Lawyers to me, in their efforts to don't present a medical assassins case, every time I consult every Lawyer I've consulted, after a group of Doctors murdered my mother in front of my eyes with their protocols, practices, and deftly persistent actions against my mother. Elderly, single or not with a husband or without children 26 years of age or younger, are targeted and qualified to be murdered legally in Florida. If we don't do something tomorrow will be us.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: So sorry to hear about your tragedy. Florida Statutes are enacted, amended, or repealed by the Florida Legislature, where you are represented by your State Senator and your State Representative. If you don't know who they are, you can find them by inputting your address here: https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FindYourRepresentative

Following whatever action the legislature takes, the governor can approve or veto the enactment, and if he/she vetos, the legislature can override the veto if at least 2/3 of the legislators vote to do so.

F.S. 768.28's awardable damage limits are designed to protect state and local government treasuries, and that does sometimes result in extremely unfair and unjust outcomes. Some legislators have proposed amending it to increase the limits for the more populous counties that can afford higher awards or settlements, but those proposals have not gone anywhere. The governor we have now certainly would not be helpful on this issue and would probably veto higher limits if they were to pass the legislature.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.