Bartow, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: How can I get sole custody of my son?

My wife and I are separated and currently about to go through a divorce. She currently has a live in boyfriend who has a lengthy, violent criminal history. I do not feel comfortable with my son going over there due to his history with violence and drugs. I do not have much money for a lawyer and I have no idea what I can do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally speaking there is no "sole custody." Florida wants both parents to spend time with a child. You will need to notify the court of your concerns regarding the other parent's partner. If the concerns are legitimate then the court will put safeguards in place to protect the child. Your concerns about what "might" happen may not be enough. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.