Taylor, MI asked in Contracts, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Domestic Violence for Michigan

Q: My mother's ex-boyfriend was added to her Property Deed for her home without her knowledge/consent. How does she fix it?

My mother purchased her first home in August of 2020. To her dismay, when she was reviewing her paperwork she learned her ex had gotten his name on her deed. Her ex has been terrorizing her for over a decade. He has over 7 violent criminal charges for attacking her, nearly killing her once. He's been to prison 4 times, every time stalking her and intimidating her into taking him back. They have countless court orders and PPOs on file, but he always comes back.

In 2020, she inherited some money and purchased her first home on her own. She and her ex were staying together, and around the time they closed on the home his abuse had become constant and terrible. Alone with the realtor, she expressed to the realtor 3 times that her ex was in NO WAY to be added to any paperwork, specifically the deed. The realtor has also confirmed this to me and is willing to testify to this fact.

Her ex has served 2 years for another domestic violence but is due to be released in 2 days. Please Help!

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Nobody can 'sneak' their name onto a deed. Similarly, nobody can REMOVE a name from a deed without that person's active participation.

Your mother NEEDS to get a local real estate lawyer to review ALL the paperwork (as should have been done at the time of purchase, but that ship has sailed) and provide real advice about what can be done and what SHOULD be done.

Don't try to be 'penny wise and pound foolish' and save a few dollars here. The professional review of a licensed attorney is first and foremost what needs to be done here. Get that professional advice!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.