Birmingham, AL asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: I am a Russian citizen with green card. I’m being mobilized to Russian army. Will I be able to come back to the states?

I am a permanent resident of the US. Currently I am being mobilized to Russian army based on new mobilization laws. If I don’t go there, I’ll be facing 10 years in prison. All my family lives there and I visit them every year. If I don’t go to this mobilization, then I will never be able to go visit them anymore - because of these 10 years in prison I’ll be facing. I want to know, if I go there - will I ever be able to come back to the states? Or if I go, serve my time in the military in Russia, and come back to US I will be facing some kind of criminal charges? I don’t know what to do, and I would really appreciate any kind of legal advise on this topic. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: Your Lawful Permanent Status will be jeopardized if you will be absent for longer than 181 days from the United States. If you stay abroad for over one year in Russia your LPR status will deemed abandoned and you will be denied entry.

There is a legal caveat: if you are not served the draft notification in person and in fact, the official mobilization of the Russian troops has ended, you may not face criminal prosecution.

Be as it may, it is worth to consult with an experienced U.S. immigration attorney even by a remote or online consultation because of the complexity and importance of these issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.