Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Question about my first court date after objection of child support order.

Will I need a lawyer for this court date, for the tax exemption, and my Fathers rights? And will a shared parenting plan be a separate court hearing after this one?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Custody and child support are held in separate proceedings. If you are still at the administrative level, which I suspect you are if you filed objections, then CSEA has very little wiggle room on child support calculations. Typically you would seek to have the order adopted by the Juvenile court and then seek a modification.

Custody needs to be filed in Juvenile court as a separate matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.