Berlin, CT asked in Business Law and Contracts for Florida

Q: Can a contractee void a contract (and not pay) after work is performed because I refuse to comply with "due dilligence"?

I recently performed service work for a company. The contract can be voided at any time by any party. There was no requirement to provide previous proof of work. They performed KYC and I passed without any issue.

I completed my contractually required work. Just as I was finishing, the company said they were needed to perform due diligence. They asked for my prior years work. I refused, as I cannot just give this information out, nor do I want to. They decided to terminate the contract and not pay me. I am pretty sure they have no right to do this. This seems blatantly illegal to me but I wanted to get a second opinion.

EDIT: The request for due diligence was performed after I completed my work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like you may very well have a valid cause of action for breach of contract, unjust enrichment and/or quantum meruit. You are most likely owed the value of the work you performed. You should set up a consultation with an attorney who handles breach of contract disputes, present the contracts, and get their opinion as to what rights and options you have under the circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.