Barberton, OH asked in Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets, Federal Crimes and Municipal Law for Ohio

Q: My son had a case which ended up getting dismissed. Now, 2yrs later they have indicted him for it. (F4 handling firearm)

They issued a warrant but told him over the phone he just needs to come to the court to receive the indictment and set a court date and he won't be arrested at that time, is this true or a trick? Also, what should he do concerning going forward with the charge/indictment? The case was closed, now it's opened and is pending? He just turned 20yrs old and this is close to 2 yrs ago. We contacted his public defender that represented him with this case that was originally dismissed and haven't heard anything back. This (indictment) is coming out of Madison County Ohio. Are they allowed to do this? What should he do? What time if any will he be looking at if this goes forward. He has no prior criminal trouble/charges. He has received his HS Diploma. He has a good job and is trying to get his CDL's.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your son should hire a local defense attorney and follow his or her advice. The statute of limitations on a felony charge is 6 years so while 2 seems like a long time, it is far from being precluded.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.