Glastonbury, CT asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Purchased 9 acre property w/ house.We are interested to subdivide a parcel off to sell as lot.What is req. process?

Property located in Rincon, Puerto Rico

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: In general terms, you should start by procuring either a Title Study or a Registry Certification from the Property Registry, to certify that you appear as owner of the real estate property. Next, you need to retain the professional services of a civil engineer, who'll prepare a plot plan ("plano de mensura") and issue a sworn measurement statement ("certificacion de mensura"). If any part of the parcel subdivide requires access or segregation of servitudes, the municipality of Rincon may need to grant authorization and may need to appear for signing the deed, accepting said servitudes. The plot plan and sworn measurement statement are submitted to the Office of General Permits ("OGPe", by its Spanish acronym), who'll issue a resolution authorizing the seggregation, assuming all the documents are in order. As a rule, the engineer can help with procuring the permits.

Once the OGPe Resolution, a notary in Puerto Rico prepares and authorizes the segregation deed, which must be signed by all of the owners of the property. A certified copy of the segregation deed is then filed with the Puerto Rico Property Registry. When each subplot has been assigned its own lot number ("número de finca"), the Municipal Income Collections Center ("CRIM", by its Spanish acronym) must be notified to assign individual property identification numbers (PINs) to each subplot. At that point in time, you may sell the individual subplots.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.