Bradenton, FL asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for Florida

Q: What should I do if a contractor never completes the agreed upon work?

I hired a company to replace the windows and sliding glass doors in my home with high-impact hurricane glass. My home is in Bradenton, FL.

Agreement was signed in April 2021. The work was started, but is still not fully completed. I have already paid half the agreed upon costs. I suspect the company is no longer operating. I'd like to hire another firm to complete the work, but I fear the original company may appear at some future time and demand remaining payment. How can I avoid this scenario?

1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Liang
Linda Liang
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This happens quite often, unfortunately. You can give them a notice for them to act immediately warning them you will hire another company if they do not. If they still do not work to complete the project, you can hire another company and keep all the records. You also have right to ask them to pay for the extra amount if you end up paying more than the contract price.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.