Dallas, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: I have an I-130 approved since 1996 when my Mom was a PR. It is still valid nowadays? I'm a married, adult child. Thks

I'm currently in the US (holding a B1 Visa) and I just learned about that petition and the approval. I have Venezuelan & Canadian citizenships, but I'm now interested in the Green Card because I'm running a business in US.

So, do you think that I can just apply for the I-825 right away? or does my mom need to reapply an I-130 (possibly along with the I-825) again?

What about my wife?

Thank for any concern

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: More information is needed. Was your mom a U.S. citizen before you married your wife?

In general, if you married your wife, then an F2b visa petition by a lawful permanent resident for their child is effectively terminated at the moment that the child's gets married.

I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent immigration attorney, so that this matter can be effectively reviewed to determine whether any arguable exception, of defense to termination exists that you might consider.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.