Columbus, OH asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: What’s the fastest way for son to live with us when mom has full custody?

Mother has full custody. (Mom and dad never married) Dad on birth certificate and pays child support. Mom and dad are coparenting. Oldest son (10) has had some behavioral problems and mom and dad have talked about son coming to live with dad and family to try something different since mom has tried everything she can think of but has come to a crossroads. Mom has special needs child that requires a lot of attention and at dads home. Son would get more attention and 1 on 1 that he needs and structure however he would have to change schools. Would dad just go to court to have custody change? Or would we do an emergency order so he could start school with us ASAP or just go for guardianship?? We would like the best route the fastest way.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The fastest way is to file a joint complaint for custody with a motion to adopt shared parenting plan with an agreed judgment entry signed by all parties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.