Houston, TX asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: My wife does not want to divorce but will sign a separation agreement or postnup for lump sum. What is best way forward

She is too traumatized to divorce right now, but needs a lump sum representing half the community property and 7 years of spousal support. What is the best document for her to sign so that if she agrees to divorce later, the court will deduct this pre-payment from what she is owed in a divorce settlement. We have been marries 22 years, and she has not worked for 19 of those and by agreement was a homemaker and is 55 with no degree.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A post nupt agreement is what you need,

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.