Swedesboro, NJ asked in Divorce for New Jersey

Q: I have a question about settling finances before a divorce

Basically just want a legal person to review this statement and make sure it doesnt sound sketchy.

Hey just finished meeting with the lawyer.

First I’ll file a complaint for divorce that just starts our actual separation. As of right now property we’ve separately acrewed is technically still together so we don’t want that anymore lol

After that my lawyer drafts a mutual settlement agreement which we both sign which would state we are each responsible for our own debts or money we have as everything has been separate. We have no kids and neither of us wants alimony. You’ll sign that when you receive it (if you want to consult with a lawyer for that, understood)

Then my lawyer continues the process, which then we go to court both agreeing to the settlement

3-6 months top. And not too expensive either

Also before we start the process I need the 10,000 from the wedding

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: My advice (which should not come as a surprise) is that it's worth your while to schedule a consultation with a lawyer who specializes in divorce law (not a general practitioner who also handles divorce matters) to review your asset setting, respective employment settings, etc to give you guidance on what is fair for your particular setting. If your matter is as simple and straightforward as you suggest, then the meeting should be quick and inexpensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.