Omaha, NE asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Probate for Nebraska

Q: So I’m not sure who to ask or what to do but I inherited a car from my dead mom. She did not have chance to get it titl

It titled - and the bill of sale is gone. How can I get the car in my name? Not sure who she bought it from

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If this is a Douglas County matter, there is information provided online to assist with such transfers by the Douglas County Treasurer.

If the title owner of the vehicle is not clear, an action may need to be brought for the Court to enter an order deciding who the owner is of the vehicle. Depending on the details of the situation, this may be able to go through probate court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.