Asked in Immigration Law

Q: I'm a 68 yr old South African. I'd like to begin the process of applying for a green card. My daughter is a US citizen.

I travel on a UK passport and have a B1/B2 visa. I understand that the first step is for her to file an alien relative petition as my sponsor, is that correct? How long does this process generally take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Filing the Petition for Alien Relative is the first step in applying for a green card. However, if you are applying for Adjustment of Status (i.e. process of getting a green card while being INSIDE the United States), there are additional forms you would file. The next steps are different when you are going through "consular processing" (i.e. process of getting a green card while being OUTSIDE the United States). It is best to consult with an immigration attorney to make sure you are making the right choice (adjustment of status vs. consular processing) and that you understand the pros/cons of each choice. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.