Katy, TX asked in Employment Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois

Q: I've been asked to sign a release form, was not explicitly said what I needed to sign or that it had to be notarized.

Know All Men By These Presents, That I/we the undersigned, for the sole and only consideration of One Thousand Seven Hundred and Nine 50/100 (1,709.50) paid to me/us in hand by ABC Corp, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, hereby release and discharge, and by these presents do hereby forever release and discharge ABC Corp, its officers, directors, shareholders, managers, employees, agents, heirs, executors, administrators, insurers, successors and assigns (“ABC Releasees”), of and from any and all liability, claims, demands, controversies, damages, actions and causes of actions of any kind including but not limited to, those arising on account of services performed under any contract between ABC Corp. and the undersigned, payments claimed to be due from ABC Corp., and any and all other loss and damage of every kind and nature caused by or resulting from the period of time the undersigned worked for ABC Corp. It is expressly understood and agreed that said of One Thousand Seven

1 Lawyer Answer
T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It seem like ABC corporation wants to pay you $1,709.50 for a release and discharge for some damaged they caused you. This release is a legally binding agreement used to protect ABC Corporation from having you bring further legal action against them for a number of reasons. They want to close this matter to prevent you from further action against them. If you accept this release and take their money, you lose future remedies to sue them. If you believe the amount they are offering is fair. . .take the money. It sounds as if it would probalby cost you more money to take them to court vs. the amount of money you would receive.

If they are willing to give you the money, without the document being notarized, i.e., just signed by you, are good to go.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.