Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nevada

Q: If I have joint physical and legal custody of my son, do I need written consent to travel with him to another state?

His mother gave me the okay via text message several months ago. As we get closer to the date of travel, she states that she does not want him traveling.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Review your Decree or an Order from the custody or divorce case to determine the out of state travel requirements. If you do not have an order or decree then assuming the travel was on your time, and you notified the other parent with an itinerary and contact information then you have done what need to do to travel out of the state. Note, the travel can not be for relocation purposes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.