Mount Vernon, OH asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Ohio

Q: to contest a will does it need to be probated first?

will changed after many yrs and just 10 mo. prior to mothers death and mother was in a very vulnerable position with monies, travel to Dr. visits, food etc and older son had just had stroke 2 months before the will change and younger son took advantage of this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: To open an estate, the executor named in the will should file it with the court and must give notice to all the next of kin that it has been filed, and then family members can contest the will if they have suspicions. If the named executor doesn't open the estate, any other family member can file to open the estate, and whoever has the will must produce it to be filed with the court. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles probate matters and will contests.

Mary Ellen Leslie and Aaron Epling agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.