Sugar Land, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Can I legally change the locks and get rid of junk after a tenant leaves?

I gave a tenant a 3 day notice to vacate for non-payment of rent, he left but refused to return the keys and garage remote. He also left a lot of junk in the yard and garage. Can I change the locks and dispose of the junk so that I can re-rent the home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It depends upon the specific provisions of your lease agreement addressing personal property abandoned by the tenant and the nature of the personal property left behind. They say that one man's junk is another man's treasure. You should carefully inventory and photograph what the tenant left behind and very carefully follow the procedure outlined in your written lease agreement.

If you made the mistake of not having a written lease agreement, or signing one that does not explicitly address this issue, take your inventory, photographs, and any lease agreement to an attorney. You may have to proceed with an eviction anyway, especially since the tenant has not returned the keys or garage remote. In the absence of a lease agreement addressing it, the tenant keeping the keys and remote is certainly some evidence that the tenant has not fully surrendered the premises or abandoned the personal property that has been left behind.

The best solution may be to have the tenant sign a written document acknowledging that he has surrendered the premises and abandoned any personal property left behind when you refund the tenant's security deposit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.