Englewood, CO asked in Divorce for North Dakota

Q: Spouse refusing to sign uncontested divorce. How do I go about filing in North Dakota? We have no kids, and no assets.

My spouse told me if I filed she’d sign. She now tells me she’s not signing anything. We have no kids, and no assets at all. Been married 2 years. I’m trying to file electronically in ND, but don’t know what type of forms I need to file as the clerk can’t advise, and self service site doesn’t specify what forms I’d need. I’m capable of doing this myself, but don’t know what forms I need. I filed the uncontested divorce but papers electronically but they got rejected because she won’t do her part (notary/signing). I’m confused not knowing if I have to file contested because of this, or proceed as uncontested with different forms… Please help! This is irritating!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: I understand you believe you're capable of doing this yourself, but it seems the reality is that's not going to be possible because: 1) She refuses to sign; and 2) You can't file a divorce uncontested because, factually, it's not if the other person refuses to sign. You should consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.