Norwalk, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: I am graduating high school and entering college at 16. How can I emancipate myself?

Our family resides in Ohio. I plan to go to college in Pennsylvania. I do not believe my parents will give consent for emancipation. I am currently working on opening a bank account and securing a part-time job, and I eventually would like to obtain a debit card. I'm not sure if this would prove my ability to be financially independent or aid me in emancipation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Parents are legally responsible and make the decisions until a child turns 18. Ohio does not allow a minor to seek emancipation. Emancipation cannot be accomplished by an act of the child alone. Emancipation is generally through the act of the child's parents regarding terminating child support for that child. A minor cannot “become emancipated” simply by petitioning the court. Ohio law does not allow for such a request, although some other states do allow minor children to file a petition asking the court find that they are emancipated. See this link:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.