Waldorf, MD asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: I live in Maryland and was scammed by someone from Texas. I have his residential address. Once I file police report with

local law enforcement, what else can I do? The amount is over $5000.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You can file a civil suit in Maryland, or in Texas. Getting a judgment awarded is one thing; collecting it is another. If the scammer is in Texas, you will almost certainly have to enforce the judgment in Texas if that is where he has his assets. In a criminal proceeding, the judge can order restitution as part of the criminal sentence, to repay you what you were scammed (actual out-of-pocket loss). You need to stay in contact with the Texas prosecutor to ensure they present your request for restitution. There is a better chance of getting your money back if that is part of the criminal sentence, so filing a separate civil suit may not be as efficient a means to recover your losses. You may also have to travel to Texas to be a witness at the criminal case, or the case may be dropped. A criminal defendant has the absolute right at trial to confront any witness against them, and cross-examine their truthfulness. If you do not appear and testify, the prosecutor may be unable to proceed.

You can also file a complaint with the Maryland Consumer Protetion Division, if the scammer is a business or otherwise falls within the purview of that division. Here's the link:


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.