Vineland, NJ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Appeals / Appellate Law for New Jersey

Q: Should I appeal courts decision on the visitation they gave my ex? I am the father & the parent of primary residence.

Months after my divorce was final in 2020, my ex took me to court for 50/50 custody. At the time she had visitation every other weekend and a night for dinner during the week. The judge denied her request and sent us to mediation. At mediation I felt like I had to give up something so we agreed on every other weekend, every Friday into Saturday and one night for dinner. A few months later, I stopped working on Saturdays and we agreed verbally through text that I would have one of my Fridays back so that I could have a full weekend with our daughter. She just took me back to court again stating she never agreed for me to have a full weekend.. and she asked for Wednesday night into Thursday morning as well. We live 30 mins apart and Our daughter is 9 years old. I provided several text messages in my exhibits that proved she did agree for me to have one full weekend a month The judge ultimately gave her every Friday again and every Wednesday into Thursday. My daughter is not happy at all.

2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The filing of an appeal of a trial court's decision on a custody/parenting time decision must be within 45 days of the date of the order. Appeals are also expensive and time consuming. My suggestion is that you meet with a family law attorney experienced in handling family law appellate work to discuss the issues presented to the trial court ( give the lawyer a complete copy of your filings with the court and a complete copy of your ex's submissions ( with all attachments for both submissions) so that the lawyer can see what was advanced and then be in a better position to advise you of the likelihood of the appellate court reversing the trial courts decision.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Appeals are rarely successful and will usually require a retainer of $25,000.00 just to get started. It is not likely that an Appellate Court will overrule the trial judge unless it is shown that the trial judge abused their discretion or made an unjustifiable decision. You are going to need an experienced matrimonial appellate attorney and you have to remember this is not a new trial. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.