Chandler, AZ asked in Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: Best way for Russian to seek asylum in America

My girlfriend is Russian and recently left Russia and is now staying in the country of Georgia. She left to keep her 17 year old son (he turns 18 in April, 2023) from being forced into the Russian military and war. She has communicated with people who have gone to Mexico and crossed the San Ysidro border. I would pick them up and help them get a lawyer and deal with the process after that. We also may consider marriage but are not at that point yet and I know the wait for a fiance visa is 15 months at this time. Is there a better way to legally cross the border for them (she does not want to come illegally). Would the border at Nogales be a better option? Would they both be able to claim asylum since she essentially sneaked her son out of the country and he is avoiding military service there for personal beliefs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: The most legally appropriate method would be discussing all critical issues confidentially, fully and clearly with an experienced immigration attorney familiar with Russia, its political situation, asylum law and family-based adjustment of status.

It is imperative to receive a legally accurate, solid and cost efficient option.

You may know by now, that there are a number of legally applicable options for the above situation.

However, given extremely sensitive and personal nature of each issue, you must discuss these issues directly with a reputable immigration attorney who practices in the area of immigration laws involving Russian nationals and has an excellent record of successful cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.