Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: Can I request a drug test and psychological exam for my exes boyfriend who recently moved in with her and my 2yo?

We are about to go to court for an SACPR where the custodial parent has requested a drug screening and psychological exam for me, among many other requests. Am I allowed to request the same of her recently moved in boyfriend? I have concerns because he has a criminal history that includes arrests for domestic violence and violation of protective order. I believe he is the reason she suddenly started denying my court ordered visitation after almost a year with no issues. I have had to file 2 police reports against him. One because he attempted to follow me with his vehicle after I picked my son up. Another was because he confronted me in a parking lot and said that I was about to get shot.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can request them, but be prepared to pay for them. A basic psychological exam will cost you about $5,000. That will not include any testimony.

The facts asserted by you in your question suggest you likely don’t need them. Your money would be better spent hiring a competent attorney to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.