Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Arrested for poss. cocaine 1984 b/c other passenger did havecocaine. 2wks later my charges dropped. Is flagged on BG ck.

even though charged were dropped. Can’t buy firearm or work at Medicaid facility because keeps coming up on BG screen. City police & county clerk of courts say record no longer exists. How to correct? Never did any drugs, never possessed any drugs ever. How do I get it corrected so doesn’t keep coming up on BG ck.

Never possessed, never used, HELP!!


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Louis Cagan
Leonard Louis Cagan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you have no prior convictions, I would recommend that you speak to a local attorney to determine whether you might be eligible to apply for an expunction of your record. The process can take several months but it is certainly better than doing nothing. There are rules that must be reviewed to see if you are eligible. Check the FDLE website for an overview of the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.