Plano, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My brother is 38, mentally sick. My father is his legal guardian.

My father and brother are both Christians and fled Iran as my father was sentenced for years in prison because of Christianity. They both live in Turkey by touristic visas. My father takes care of my brother. My brother isn’t able to manage his life. As a U.S citizen, Can I apply for green cards for my father and brother as one case? How long does it take for them to get green cards?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Texas

A: As a US Citizen, you could sponsor Dad for his green card as your immediate relative. His processing time would be about a year to two. You can sponsor your brother but that processing speed would take about 12 years. Your brother can’t travel on a derivative visa based on Dads case. Your brother can explore other ways to get a visa to live here like an investor visa or a student visa.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.