Edison, NJ asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for New Jersey

Q: What happens to the over $160,000 in arrears that’s owed if I pass away?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The arrears will go to your heirs if you pass away and have a will or trust. But since you are alive, you really need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney to go after the $160,000. It needs to be reduced to a Judgment and Docketed in Trenton as a statewide lien. Then an Information Subpoena can be served on the debtor. Sanctions for failure to properly answer an information Information Subpoena start with monetary sanctions and can go all the way up to incarceration. With modern technology, there are no geographical limits to retaining the best experienced matrimonial attorney you can afford.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.